Who made the Monday rule? Why is Monday the designated day to start “fresh” on a new diet or exercise plan? Screw the Monday rule, here are a few reasons why you should start today.
Let’s just say it’s Wednesday and you decide you are going to start a new exercise or diet program:
- If you wait till Monday you are missing out on 5 days that you could have already started. Clear cut, moving on.
- Monday isn’t even the beginning of the week. If you are going to use that excuse what happened to Sunday?
- If you have the mind set of starting Monday you are probably going to eat like it’s your last supper on the days leading to Monday which is only going to cause you a further set back.
- Saying you’re going to wait till Monday gives you time to change your mind, if you are already in the motivation mind set to start something then why not start right then and there? Who says you need a clean slate to start a diet/exercise plan.
- Some people work on the weekends so saying it’s the start of the work week is not an excuse. If you think about it, the week is just a seven day cycle with different prefixes in front of the word day. So why can’t Wednesday or any other day for that matter be the new Monday. If you are doing a weekly weigh in its still 7 days.
- Mondays are probably the worst day to start because if you are going to stray away from your diet or exercise its more than likely it will be on the weekend. Rest days are usually scheduled for the weekend so it would be in your favor to check your progress midweek when you are not retaining water from that martini you had Saturday night..
- I don’t know about you but Mondays I am cranky and tired. I have way more energy and spirit on a Wednesday; I mean after all its hump day!! No one wants to start a diet or exercise plan when they are tired and cranky. So do it when you feel the motivation to start right then and there.
- Most of the time when you are starting something new it may take you a few days to get used to it. It’s hard to go cold turkey with your diet. If you are adamant about starting “fresh” on a Monday, start making little changes so you have a few days to adapt to the new lifestyle. For example, if you are starting a new exercise program, try a few of the exercises and get accustomed to the movements. That way when you get to your “fresh start Monday” you will already be ahead of the game.
So don’t procrastinate, if you already have decided to make a change why wait till Monday? The Monday rule is only an excuse to put off what you haven’t or will never start. Don’t wait another second, start right now!!
“You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.” – Abraham Lincoln