If you think I am going to lecture you on how much exercise you would need to do to burn off the amount of calories in a piece of candy, I’m not. I will be the first one to admit that when presented with some of my favorite candies my sweet tooth always gives in. If you put a bowl of candy corns in front of me, forget about it! I think no matter what, on a diet or not on a diet, everyone deserves to have their fun foods every day. If we deprive our body of what it craves (in my case sweets), we are more likely to stray from our healthy eating habits and binge eat. Allowing yourself to have one “fun food” snack each day will keep you sane. A “fun food” can be anything you want it to be, as long as it is less than 200 calories. That is just enough to satisfy your sweet tooth without feeling guilty or affecting your waistline. My fun food that I look forward to each day is my frozen yogurt. After dinner I will have a half cup of frozen yogurt with 1 tbsp. of chocolate chips, adding up to a whopping 150 calories. I thought this topic was appropriate with Halloween coming up because I want you to know that it is OKAY to have candy as long as you are aware of the portion size and calories. Follow these rules that I have created for myself to satisfy my craving while avoiding a splurge:
- Don’t have a bowl of candy lying out on the table. I say this because I am totally guilty when it comes to picking at candy in a bowl. My mother has a bowl of candy corns on our dining room table because she knows they are my favorite. When I pass by them I grab a handful. Then I pass by them again and I grab another handful, until I realized I ate the entire bowl!! Just don’t do it!! Because even though I have good self-control I don’t realize how much candy I am actually consuming when I eat multiple portions throughout the day.
- Be aware of what you’re eating. Knowing ahead of time how many calories are in your favorite candies will help prevent you from going for that second or third candy bar.
- Buy the fun size. It is a lot easier to portion out your candy because they have the small sized ones. Ditch the supersize milky way and grab the mini ones..just don’t eat 5 of them!!
- Store your sweets somewhere that is not visible and in a room that you don’t go in often. Storing them in a non-easy access place will prevent you from going back for seconds. Put them in your basement or somewhere where you have to go up the stairs to get them. It will give you more time to think whether you really need it or maybe you will just be too lazy to get it!!
- After Halloween is over, donate your left over candy. The more candy you have stored away, the more tempting it will be to eat them. I’ve made excuses for myself like “oh I don’t want to waste the candy or if I eat it all now I won’t eat it later.” My sweet tooth has made every excuse in the book.
I have listed some of the most popular candy in the fun size packs so that you can prepare yourself before you eat 10 of them:
Starburst Fun Size
2 Starburst candies: 40 calories, 0.8g sat fat, 6g sugar
1 roll (7g): 25 calories, 0g fat, 6g sugar
Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Fun Size
1 bar (0.49 oz): 77 calories, 2.7g sat fat, 7g sugar
Kit Kat Wafer Bar, Snack Size
1 bar (0.49 oz/14g): 70 calories, 2.3g sat fat, 7g sugar
Reese’s Pieces Snack Size
1 bag (13g): 67 calories, 2.7g sat fat, 7.3g sugar
Twix Fun Size
1 bar (16g): 80 calories, 3g sat fat, 8g sugar
Almond Joy Snack Size
1 bar (17g): 80 calories, 3g sat fat, 8g sugar
1 bar (15.5g): 60 calories, 0.5g sat fat, 8.5g sugar
Butterfinger Fun Size
1 bar (0.65 oz/18.5g): 85 calories, 1.8g sat fat, 8.5g sugar
Snickers Fun Size
1 bar (17g): 80 calories, 1.5g sat fat, 8.5g sugar
M&M’s Peanut Fun Size
1 bag (18g): 90 calories, 1.8g sat fat, 9g sugar
York Peppermint Pattie, Snack Size
1 piece (13.6g): 50 cal, 0.7g sat fat, 9g sugar
Raisinets Fun Size
1 bag (16g): 67 calories, 1.7g sat fat, 9.7g sugar
Sour Patch Kids Mini Bag
1 bag (15g): 50 calories, 0g fat, 10g sugar
Milky Way Bar Fun Size
1 bar (0.58 oz/17g): 80 calories, 2.3 g sat fat, 10 g sugar
3 Musketeers Fun Size
1 bar (15g): 63 calories, 1.3g sat fat, 10g sugar
1 pop: 60 calories, 0g sat fat, 10g sugar (contains trans-fat)
Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Snack Size
1 cup: 110 calories, 2.5 g sat fat, 11 g sugar
Swedish Fish Mini Pack
1 pack (15g): 50 calories, 0g sat fat, 11g sugar
Dots Mini Box
1 box (21g): 70 calories, 0g sat fat, 11g sugar
Skittles Fun Size
1 bag (15g): 60 calories, 0.7g sat fat, 11.3g sugar
Being aware of the nutritional value and portion size will allow you to satisfy your craving without the guilt. The one thing I want you to take away from this is enjoy yourself. Life is too short not to and if you accidently eat too much, tomorrow is a new day. Healthy living is all about balance.